View More Images »
The arms of this saguaro cactus are evidence of a long, eventful life in the Sonoran desert. During these years many people traveled the nearby trails.
Native Americans visited the area for seasonal hunting.
In the 1960's the US Army established a supply route through this area to link Camp McDowell with Fort Whipple.
In 1917 E.C. Brown bought the land. At its peak Brown's ranch encompassed 44,000 acres and 5000 head of cattle.
In 1999 the City of Scottsdale, AZ acquired 34,000 acres for the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. The goal is to maintain a sustainable desert and mountain habitat. Now hikers walk these trails that so many others, who are part of Arizona history, have traveled.